Gareth Clear, a 36-year-old cyclist from Bondi Beach, New South Wales, Australia, has experienced riding injuries before, but the last thing he expected while mountain biking was a severe burn from an exploding phone. It all started when he was riding around Manly Dam on Sunday afternoon when he fell from his bike, landing on his iPhone 6. Just seconds later, smoke and searing heat caught his attention before hearing an explosion as the phone ignited, melting through his shorts and two layers of skin on his upper right thigh. Continue reading for a video news report and more information.

“It’s a bit random, the thing to be very specific about, the phone did hit the ground, it didn’t just spontaneously combust. It was a one in one million chance I hit a part of the phone which pierced the lithium battery and it exploded. I’m 36, I’ve had a mobile phone for 18 years of my life and for that thing to explode or short circuit and cause it to temporarily ignite. I could see the metal bending and all the lithium leaking out of the bottom end,” said Clue.

Write A Comment