NVIDIA is working on a 3D map of the universe in an aim to probe subatomic interactions for green energy sources and much more. The team will use Perlmutter at the National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center (NERSC), a supercomputer that will deliver nearly four exaflops of AI performance. What this means is that it’s now the fastest system on the planet on the 16- and 32-bit mixed-precision math AI uses, fully utilizing the 6,000+ Nvidia A100 Tensor Core GPUs. Read more for two videos and additional information.
This supercomputer will be able to process data from the Dark Energy Spectroscopic Instrument (DESI), a cosmic camera capable of capturing as many as 5,000 galaxies in a single exposure, using its GPUs to capture dozens of exposures from one night to know where to point DESI the next night. Typically, the data for such a publication would take weeks or months on prior systems, but Perlmutter can complete it in just a few days.
- Smooth Display: The 17.3” 144Hz display delivers a high refresh rate for smooth and vibrant gameplay so you don't miss a frame of the game
- Powered Up: The 10th Gen. Intel Core i7 processor, delivers solid high performance processing power to bring you an unparalleled gaming experience
- Supercharged Graphics: The GTX 1660 Ti is built on NVIDIA's Turing architecture. Supercharged for today's most popular games, exerience the game
- Play Cool: Featuring CPU and GPU cooling technology to maximize airflow and thermals for smooth gaming and performance within a compact chassis
- Customizable Lighting: Customize each key to your liking and receive real time in-game status updates through keyboard lighting
I’m really happy with the 20x speedups we’ve gotten on GPUs in our preparatory work. To me, Saul is an example of what people can do with the right combination of insatiable curiosity and a commitment to optimism,” said Thomas, who worked with Perlmutter on projects following up the Nobel-winning discovery,” said Rollin Thomas, a data architect at NERSC who’s helping researchers get their code ready for Perlmutter.