The New York Police Department (NYPD) has just deployed a customized version of Boston Dynamics’ Spot robot dog in the Bronx, called “DigiDig”. This 70-pound robot can be used by the department to remotely search and scan hazardous environments or disaster areas using its various sensors as well as cameras. Unlike the standard model, this one comes equipped with a 360-degree camera hump on a gimbal possibly for surveillance reasons. Read more for a video.
In the public sector, Spot is mainly used to remotely to get eyes on dangerous situations or inspect hazardous packages from afar. Its 360° perception automatically maps terrain and avoids obstacles as they appear, while balancing dynamically in uncertain surroundings with payloads of up to 31-pounds. The robot can easily cruise over loose gravel, grass, curbs and stairs.
- This car has multiple functions. (Assembly required. Raspberry Pi and Battery are NOT contained.)
- Provides detailed tutorial and complete code (Python) -> The download link can be found on the product box. (No paper tutorial.)
- Compatible models -> Raspberry Pi 4B / 3B+ / 3B / 3A+. (2B / B+ / A+ / Zero 1.3 / Zero W is also compatible but needs extra parts.)
- Control methods -> Controlled wirelessly by your Android devices, iPhone and computer (Windows, macOS and Raspberry Pi OS).
- Needs battery -> See "AboutBattery.pdf" in downloaded file to buy.