Photo credit: Sky’s Edge
Justine Haupt’s company, Sky’s Edge, built a custom rotary dial cellphone earlier this year, and now, she wants to give consumers a chance to purchase one. The aim was to rid smartphones of t heir battery-draining distractions, such as the touchscreen. A “mark 2″ model is currently being developed, and instead of 3G, data connectivity has been upgraded to 4G. Read more for a video and additional information.
Other upgrades on the 4G model include a larger E-paper display, revamped rotary dial parts that will be new components rather than salvaged hardware, and also an SD card slot, which enables you to build a contact list by simply uploading a text file filled with the appropriate information. The goal is to release it in September, but that has not yet been confirmed.
- Power of 5G: Get next-level power for everything you love to do with Samsung Galaxy 5G; Share more, game harder, experience more and never miss a beat
- Trade-In With Samsung: Buy a new Samsung Galaxy S20 5G and get up to $700 in Amazon credit with an eligible trade-in device through July 19, 2020
- Single Take AI: Capture video and multiple types of images with one tap of the shutter button; Lenses, effects and filters capture the best of every moment, every time
- Hi-Res Camera Zoom: Capture hi-res images as if you’re 3 feet away, from 100 feet away; Whether you want to zoom in close from afar or magnify details nearby, the new 30x Space Zoom gives you impressive power and clarity
- Bright Night Mode: Capture crisp images and vibrant video in Bright Night mode and create high-quality content in low light – no flash needed
The point isn’t to be anachronistic. It’s to show that it’s possible to have a perfectly usable phone that goes as far from having a touchscreen as I can imagine, and which in some ways may actually be more functional,” said its creator.