Samsung has been developing flexible displays for years, and their most recent innovation is stretchable PPG heart rate sensors combined with OLED display systems. This electronic skin is worn on the inner wrist near the radial artery, and during their tests, the OLED display continued to work stably even after being stretched 1,000 times. As for accuracy, the measurements recorded from a moving wrist by the sensor was found to pick up a heartbeat signal that 2.4-times stronger than would be picked up by a fixed silicon sensor. Read more for additional pictures and information.
The main issue with stretchable display technology is that the device breaks or its performance deteriorates. However, the researchers found a workaround for this issue by having all of the materials and elements, including the substrate, electrode, thin film transistor, emission material layer and sensor, have the ability to stretch as well as maintain their electrical properties. How? They replaced the plastic material used in existing stretchable displays with elastomer.
- 15 Minutes for a Full Day’s Power – Eliminate charging anxiety with Warp Charge 65. All it takes is a short charge to get you ready for your day.
- 120Hz Fluid Display – Experience a 6.55” ultra-smooth display, with stunning color accuracy. The OnePlus 8T display refreshes twice as fast as standard displays, making everyday use on the smartphone feel much smoother.
- 48 MP Quad Camera – Shoot brilliant photos and videos with the 48 MP main camera, a sweeping 16 MP Ultra-Wide-Angle Camera, a 5 MP Macro Lens for portrait mode, and an all-new Monochrome Lens.
- 5G Powerhouse Performance – Play the most graphically intensive games and use demanding productivity apps with ease, thanks to the powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor.
- 256GB Storage + 12GB RAM – Store more of your favorite apps, games, and media with an expansive 256GB storage. Open apps quickly and smoothly with 12GB of RAM.
The strength of this technology is that it allows you to measure your biometric data for a longer period without having to remove the solution when you sleep or exercise, since the patch feels like part of your skin. You can also check your biometric data right away on the screen without having to transfer it to an external device. The technology can also be expanded to use in wearable healthcare products for adults, children and infants, as well as patients with certain diseases,” said principal researcher Youngjun Yun, corresponding author of the paper.