Adam Savage received a Spot quadruped robot from Boston Dynamics earlier this year, and he can’t get enough of it. This time, he turns it into a rickshaw driver of sorts, and since Spot is still remote-controlled, it requires adjustments to its out-of-the-box software in order to better complete its task. Savage spent around 5-days building this “steampunk-Victorian funeral” rickshaw, with most of that time going into the harness for Spot to pull the rickshaw along. Read more for the video demonstration and additional information.
The first try went decently with Spot’s default settings and Boston Dynamics field operations lead Seth Davis remotely controlling it. The robot was capable of pulling Savage in the rickshaw down a straight path, but had trouble when it reached a slight incline. However, when they tweaked Spot’s software so that it was aware of the weight and forces it was bearing, things went smoother.
- ELEGOO Smart Robot Car: An educational STEM kit beginners (kids) to get hands-on experience about programming, electronics assembling and robotics knowledge. It is an integration solution for robotics learning and made for education.
- Complete Package: Contains 24 kinds of module parts including obstacle avoidance, line tracing module, infrared remote control and also you can control it via phone and tablets of Android and iOS system, etc.
- Easy to Assemble: All the module interface has been modified with XH2. 54 ports as to make it much easier and convenient to assemble the car and reduce the chances for errors.
- Refined Tutorial in CD: HD rendering instructions on how to assemble the robot car from scratch and all the necessary programs and codes are included.
- Upgraded Package Design: More minimalism design and make it a perfect gift for your kids and friends. Note：(Applicable Age : 12+)To use Elegoo starter kits requires basic electronic knowledge. If the user has no experience, it would be better to have someone lead and teach them while studying.
- 12-in-1 Solar Robot Kit: This solar robot kit could be built into 12 different shapes of robots. It is composed of 190 pcs, including moving and connecting parts like gears, plates, tires, and shafts. Kids can easily disassemble them after the building each robot.
- Clear Instructions: Kids could complete the building by following the instruction manual step by step. We recommend parents and kids work together to finish the first robot building while enjoying the process of family collaboration.
- Solar Powered Eco-friendly Toys: Excellent STEM robot for the next generation to begin to understand solar power. It can crawl, roll and float under direct sunlight which allows children to understand the environmental concept of green technologies and renewable resources.
- Educational Gift for Ages 7-12: By assembling and building different solar robots from simple level to complex, this STEM toy not only develops the mechanical skills of your little engineers but inspires their imagination and creativity. It is a great educational gift for children.
- Satisfactory Service: CIRO offers a wide range of toys and kits from STEM to crafts. We highly value customer feedback and provide 90-day free return policy.
I wanted an early video to be a simple task that we give Spot that is fun and evocative and strange — and hilarious,” said Save who noted in the past that he has had a longtime obsession with rickshaws.