Photo credit: BIG-Bjarke Ingels Group
BIG-Bjarke Ingels Group partnered with construction technology company ICON, SEArch+ (Space Exploration Architecture) and NASA to develop “Project Olympus,” a space-based construction system that could support future exploration of the Moon. The main goal is to ensure the safety of astronauts and to do so, the team believes that 3D printing with indigenous materials is the best way to go. This will not only offer a practical solution, but also prove to be critically vital to human survival both Earth and in space. Read more for a video, additional pictures and information.
One challenge in the 3D-printing process is going to be the task of obtaining regolith, which is basically a fine gray powder that consists of useful minerals (basalt, feldspar, etc.) to be used as a printing medium through melting or sintering. This molten material will then be fed into the machine to create vaulted structures made from a waffle-like network of rigid exterior ribs and then filled with regolith, which doubles as a solar radiation absorber.
- Developed in cooperation with NASA to mark the 50th anniversary of man's historic walk on the moon, this highly detailed collectible LEGO replica of the iconic Apollo 11 Eagle Lunar Lander is a spectacular display model
- It's packed with amazing details, including detachable ascent and descent stages, a lunar surface display base and 2 astronaut minifigures with NASA-detailed spacesuits
- The LEGO Creator Expert Apollo 11 Lunar Lander makes an impressive display for home or office
- The advanced LEGO Creator Expert Apollo 11 Lunar Lander model is a challenging and rewarding LEGO building set that makes a great gift for space and NASA fans, and for kids ages 16+
- The LEGO Creator Expert NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander measures over 7” (20 cm) high, 8” (22cm) wide and 7” (20cm) deep
- USAGE: The Light Set is used to light up Creator NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander (NOT include the Lego Set).
- PORDUCT FEATURE: The Light is made use of original material purely handmade. It contains 1 USB Light kit ,Instruction guide, battery box. Plug in power, and light up your building blocks with our amazing design!
- TIPS: Prepare three AA Batteries, or USB Charger and Voltage should be less than 5V to avoid burning.
- INSTALLATION INSTRUCTION: The light set installation is done to your preference. Please install your led light carefully, no hard pulling and no need to bend or shake it.
- ABOUT US: Specialized in custom-designed Lighting Kit toys, we aim to supply customer with good products and quality services. Make your creations unique with your rich imagination and creativity. Let 's light up your bricks and bring them new vitality. If you have any problems, please do not hesitate to contact us. Have a happy shopping experience!
Building on our experience with BIG’s Mars Science City, we are working to develop the first permanent structure on the Moon resilient to the hostile lunar environment where the cost of payload transportation requires rigorous efficiency. We have explored various building forms ideal for containing atmospheric pressure and optimized for protection from cosmic and solar radiation. The habitat will be designed with the inherent redundancy required for extraterrestrial buildings, while also using groundbreaking robotic construction that uses only in-situ resources with zero-waste left behind, said Martin Voelkle, Partner, BIG.