The problem with all current VR headsets is that they can’t be worn like you would sunglasses, that is unless…you’re talking about the new holographic glasses from Facebook Reality Labs. That’s right, these new glasses make use of holographic film, enabling the lenses to have a total thickness of less than 9mm. Read more for a video, additional pictures and information.
This design is made possible through a series of flat, polarized films that use a “pancake optics” light-folding technique to reflect the displayed image multiple times in a compact space. Plus, this prototype uses lasers instead of LCDs to create images so we can’t quite get an accurate field of view measurement just yet.
- All-in-one VR: No PC. No wires. No limits. Oculus quest is an all-in-one gaming system built for virtual reality. Now you can play almost anywhere with just a VR headset and controllers.
- Oculus touch controllers: arm yourself with the award-winning Oculus touch controllers. Your slashes, throws and grab appear in VR with intuitive, realistic Precision, transporting your hands and gestures right into the game
- Easy set up: the world is your arcade. Set up is easy whether you're at home or someplace new. Oculus quest works with your environment, so you can play standing or sitting in spaces big or Small.
- Incredible VR games: stop watching games and step into them. Whether you're dodging spells or slashing through enemy hordes, you've never been this close to the action.
- Guardian helps keep you safe: explore the universe without tripping over the coffee table. The Oculus Guardian system is designed to help you avoid nearby objects while you're in-game.
Shown on the left, a photograph captured with the proof-of-concept research device shown above. On the right, a photograph taken through a larger full-color benchtop prototype. We are currently working on achieving full color on the smaller research prototype,” said Facebook Research.