This antique cabinet is over 200 years old and was handcrafted ing Abraham (1711-1793) and David Roentgen’s (1743-1807) workshop. This writing cabinet is crowned with a chiming clock and features finely designed marquetry panels as well as elaborate mechanisms that allow for doors and drawers to be opened automatically at the touch of a button. It was owned by King Frederick William II and best known for its ornate decoration, mechanical complexity, and sheer size. Continue reading for video showing exactly how this exquisite marvel works.
This cabinet is on loan from Kunstgewerbemuseum, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, and can currently be seen at NYC’s The Metropolitan Museum of Art in the exhibition Extravagant Inventions: The Princely Furniture of the Roentgens.