You’ve probably heard of and seen parkour, free running videos either online or on television, but we’ve rounded up five of the most popular clips to ever hit the internet for your viewing enjoyment. In technical terms, parkour / free running is “a training discipline focused on overcoming obstacles, involving moving from point A to point B in the fastest and most efficient way possible. It combines a variety of movements like running, climbing, swinging, vaulting, leaping, and rolling.” Continue reading to see more.
5. Urban Freeflow
4. Damien Walters
3. Tempest Free Running Academy
2. Assassin’s Creed
1. Human-Powered Rube-Goldberg Machine
5 Interesting facts:
- Parkour originates in France and has its roots in military training and physical education.
- Modern Parkour is said to be founded by David Belle and Sébastien Foucan who are ambassadors of the techniques and have pushed it into films and video games.
- Parkour is not a sport in the traditional sense. In fact, competitive Parkour has been campaigned against by leading figures in the Parkour arena as it goes against the very philosophy of free movement and self-development.
- Parkour has no set movements or tricks, but is up to the individual and focuses instead on swift movement with minimum injury.
- Parkour practitioners are known as “Traceurs” – simply because they “trace” their way through the environment and across, under and over various obstacles.