Did you know that from December 2009 to March 2010 an unusual numbers of the slender oarfish surfaced in the waters and on the beaches of Japan; the appearance of which is said to portend earthquakes? If not, we’ve rounded up seven more extremely strange (yet real) human and animal oddities for your viewing enjoyment after the break.
10 Interesting animal facts:
- Ostriches can run faster than horses, and the males can roar like lions.
- Gorillas can catch human colds and other illnesses.
- A newborn Chinese water deer is so small it can almost be held in the palm of the hand.
- A lion in the wild usually makes no more than twenty kills a year.
- The female lion does ninety percent of the hunting.
- In Alaska it is illegal to whisper in someone’s ear while they’re moose hunting.
- The bat is the only mammal that can fly.
- The leg bones of a bat are so thin that no bat can walk.
- Some male songbirds sing more than 2000 times each day.
- The only mammals to undergo menopause are elephants, humpback whales, and human females.