Amazon has just wrapped filming for the first season of their “The Lord of the Rings” TV series, with the first episode set for release on the Prime streaming service on September 2, 2022. The company has spent $465-million USD thus far filming the first season of the show, according to New Zealand government officials. It has already been renewed for a second season, and the studio is expected to film five seasons of the show. Read more for a video explaining the teaser image and additional information.
The series will bet set in Middle Earth and explore new storylines that precede J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. Plus, this deal includes a potential additional spin-off series. One thing you may not know is that in addition to the $465-million it cost Amazon to film the first season, they had to pay an additional $250-million to secure the rights to the series.
- MONOPOLY GAME: THE LORD OF THE RINGS EDITION: Protect the lands of Middle-earth from the armies of Mordor with this Monopoly game inspired by The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy
- RING OF POWER: Control the Ring and get special powers, but beware. The longer a player has the Ring, the more dangerous it becomes. Rolling the Eye of Sauron can make someone pay a heavy price
- MEMBERS OF THE FELLOWSHIP CHARACTER TOKENS: Play as Frodo, Gandalf, Sam, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Pippin, Merry, or Boromir
- PATH TO MOUNT DOOM: The player who has the Ring also moves a Ring Tracker along a line of circles on the gameboard toward Mount Doom. Lose or give away the Ring and the Tracker moves back to Start
- BOARD GAME FOR 2-6 PLAYERS: The Monopoly game makes a great birthday or holiday gift for kids ages 8 and up, and a fantastic choice for game night with the family
The Lord of the Rings is a cultural phenomenon that has captured the imagination of generations of fans through literature and the big screen. We are honored to be working with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line on this exciting collaboration for television and are thrilled to be taking The Lord of the Rings fans on a new epic journey in Middle Earth,” said Sharon Tal Yguado, Head of Scripted Series, Amazon Studios.