In something that sounds like a scene from a movie, scientists have managed to turn pure water into a gold-colored metal. Since unfiltered water is capable of conducting electricity due to salts, purified water contains only water molecules, whose outermost electrons remain bound to their designated atoms, and thus, they can’t flow freely through the water. So, if you applied enough pressure to pure water, its water molecules would then be squashed together and their valence shells, would overlap. Its electrons would then flow freely between each molecule and turn the water into a metal. Read more for two videos and additional information.
What kind of pressure are we talking about? Approximately 48 megabars, or slightly under 48-million times Earth’s atmospheric pressure at sea level. For the experiment, the scientists used a vacuum chamber and started extruding a small amount of sodium-potassium alloy, which is liquid at room temperature, and very carefully added a thin film of pure water using vapor deposition. When they made contact, the electrons and positively charged ions flowed into the water from the alloy, giving the water a shimmering gold shine and making it conductive.
- THE ULTIMATE IMMERSIVE LEARNING EXPERIENCE - Join Bill Nye is his virtual reality lab! Virtual reality brings this 80 page book to life, teaching 30 step-by-step science projects in an easy and fun to explore learning format!
- LEARN, EXPERIENCE, PLAY! - From chemistry to physics, this unique educational toy delivers core scientific values that foster a fundamental and healthy understanding of basic scientific concepts.
- STEP-BY-STEP VIDEOS - Enter augmented reality as pictures turn to video right on the page! Develop the skills and confidence to perform science experiments, then enter Bill Nye's virtual reality lab to see science in action!
- VR GOGGLES INCLUDED - Includes a pair of hands-free goggles to create an immersive learning experience. Compatible with all smart phones with access to Google Play store and Apple iOS app store. All smart phone mobile devices have been tested to fit into the goggles, including “max” and plus size phones. Goggles not compatible with tablets.
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX? - This 50 piece set includes everything you need, like beakers, measuring cups, baking soda, paint brush and much more to dive in and experience the projects right out of the box, making it an ultimate kids VR toy set! (NOTE: some additional household items required)
You can see the phase transition to metallic water with the naked eye! The silvery sodium-potassium droplet covers itself with a golden glow, which is very impressive,” said Robert Seidel, physicist at Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie in Germany.