Photo credit: Kotaku
Amazon’s New World Closed Beta just launched yesterday, and it has already fried at least a handful of NVIDIA RTX 3090 video cards, or more specifically the $1900+ EVGA 3090. The game may be just too intense for even the highest end of GPUs due to the game’s unlocked frame rate in the menus. NVIDIA 3090 cards have a TDP of 350 watts, which means that the game could be drawing far more than that to cause them to shut down. Read more for a video and additional information.
For gamers who do have access to the New World Closed Beta make sure to cap your FPS to help prevent any issues that people have been having with their GPU’s being fried. Simply go to Settings > Visuals > Max FPS > and it to 60 to bring the utilization back down. The Closed Beta runs from July 20 – August 2 and during that time, each Faction will be competing to make sure they emerge victorious. The team with the most points at the end of the event will win and every one of its members gets 100 copies of the game to give away to their communities.
- System: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9GHz 6-Core | Intel B460 Chipset | 8GB DDR4 | 500GB PCI-E NVMe SSD | Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB Video Card | 1x HDMI | 1x DisplayPort
- Connectivity: 6x USB 3.1 | 2x USB 2.0 | 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000 | 802.11AC Wi-Fi | Audio: 7.1 Channel | Keyboard and Mouse
- Special feature: Tempered Glass Side Case Panel | RGB Case Lighting | RGB 7 Colors Gaming Mouse
- 1 year parts & labor | Free lifetime tech support
Playing the New World beta on my EVGA 3090 has fried my graphics card completely. There are many accounts of this same thing happening with the same card with the same game.@TEAMEVGA @playnewworld @EVGA_JacobF
I just want to make sure this doesn't happen to others
— Gladd (@Gladd) July 21, 2021