BMW i, Designworks and professional wingsuit pilot Peter Salzmann from Austria collaborated to build an electrified wingsuit equipped with two carbon fiber impellers, each powered by a 10-horsepower electric motor. These battery-powered impellers are capable of spinning at 25,000 rpm for up to five minutes and enable the pilot to fly at speeds of over 186 mph. A test flight saw Salzmann and two other pilots be dropped off from 9,842-feet. Read more for two videos, additional pictures and information.
The Electrified Wingsuit by BMW i project came about when Peter Salzmann’s wanted to take the wingsuit sport to a whole new level, as he’s a skydiving instructor by day. Unlike other wingsuits, the goal of this electric drive system is to increase the performance in order to achieve a better constant glide flight. In addition to skydiving training and wingsuit flying, Salzmann is also a television and movie stuntman.
- 【PACK LIGHT, FLY FREE】: at less than 249 g, it weighs about as much as an apple and fits in the palm of your hand. compact and convenient, this small drone is your ideal travel companion, transforming how you capture your favorite memories.
- 【OCUSYNC 2.0 VIDEO TRANSMISSION】: mini 2 supports up to 10km of hd video transmission and has excellent anti-interference capabilities, giving you the ability to fly farther and see clearer.
- 【POWERFUL PERFORMANCE】: with a max battery life of 31 minutes, dji mini 2 grants more than enough time to compose the perfect shot. mini 2 can resist level 5 winds and take off at a max altitude of 4,000 meters, so your footage is stable even when flying along a windy coastline or high above an alpine forest.
- 【4X ZOOM】: there’s no need to get so close for your dream shot. 4x digital zoom makes it safer and more convenient when transitioning between shots of varying distance and composition.
- 【QUICKSHOTS】: with just a few taps, dji mini 2 automatically records and shoots professional-level videos to share directly on social media. whether you’re a beginner or a more experienced flyer, the dji fly app helps you produce impressive results complete with soundtracks and filters.
Following the successful premiere, Peter Salzmann and the experts at BMW i and Designworks continued their development work on the world’s first electrically powered wingsuit. The Austrian is firmly convinced that electric drive technology will shape the future, not only on the road but also in the air,” said BMW.