Unlike other insects, the dragonfly’s wings use a rowing motion along an inclined stroke plane, which means when hovering, the body lies almost horizontal. In other words, its wings push backward, downward, and at the end of the stroke, feather and slice upward and forward. What if this was turned into a real-life flying machine? A group of Russian inventors decided to build such a machine, and came up with a remote-controlled ornithopter that can actually fly. Read more for a video of it in-action and additional information.
Called “Serenity,” this flying machine has a 10-foot-long fuselage, three sets of wings, and custom-built mechanisms to recreate flapping motion of a dragonfly. Sure, this version may not be suitable for a human to ride, but future models will be larger and have a more stable flapping motion that doesn’t bob around.
- PILOTED FLIGHT - Grab a sheet of paper, fold it, and go! Instantly put yourself in the cockpit of an amazing smartphone controlled paper airplane that does high speed tricks. The bluetooth module, which includes autopilot control, connects to your phone so you can experience the sensation of flying countless paper, foam, and even Balsa Wood airplane models.
- INCREDIBLE STABILITY - Loops, Barrel Rolls, & Hammerheads are achieved with the special Acro Mode! Your paper plane’s onboard computer automatically calibrates your paper airplane for imperfect weather with a built-in launch assist and wind stabilizer. Now hobbyists, tinkerers, or students can become the flight controller!
- RAPID CHARGING - A 30 minute quick charge gives you 10 minutes of flight time along with an incredible range of up to 230ft! Traveling up to 20mph, your plane will spend less time on the tarmac and more time in the air. Simply connect the included micro USB cable to a charging port and plot out your next journey.
- STEM READY - Experience the aerodynamic forces that make flight possible through various wing configurations. Lift, drag, thrust, and gravity are learned first hand. Purchase the Night-Flight Kit and Accessory Kit to see how different parts create a new experience. Great for an outdoor class or exploration together with family.
- DURABLE - A near indestructible heavy duty carbon fiber body includes a nylon reinforced nose and motor mount. The POWERUP 4.0 paper airplane set is designed to withstand bumps, bangs, and even an unexpected crash. If your paper plane flies out of range, the onboard computer will safely land itself! Includes a one year warranty.