City Hall was the original southern terminal station of the first line of the New York City Subway, built by the Interborough Rapid Transit Company (IRT), and opened on October 27, 1904. This station is located underneath the public area in front of City Hall and designed to be the showpiece of the new subway. Due to the infrastructural shortfalls, as well as its proximity to the nearby Brooklyn Bridge station, passenger service was discontinued on December 31, 1945. Continue reading for another video and more information.
City Hall, notwithstanding its architectural grandeur, was never an important station. In its final year of use, it served only 600 passengers per day and was not open at nights. The Brooklyn Bridge station, located a short walk away, at the opposite end of City Hall Park, was more popular, as it provided both local and express service, including trains to Brooklyn.