For the first time ever, scientists have observed a giant squid hunting in its own natural habitat 2,500-feet under the gulf of Mexico. Put simply, marine biologists used a specially designed deep sea platform with an integrated camera to analyze the behavior of giant squids using fake jellyfish, known as E-jelly, which mimics the blue flashing bioluminescence emitted by atolla jellyfish in distress. Read more for the video and additional information.
While giant squid do not typically consume jellyfish, they are attracted to its distress lights, signalling that they may be under attack by something it does hunt. This would suggest that giant squid are more visual hunters, since it simply ignored the olfactory bait located nearby in favor of blue flashing lights.
- 5K Video - Shoot stunning video with up to 5K resolution, perfect for maintaining detail even when zooming in
- 20MP Photo with SuperPhoto - Capture crisp, pro-quality photos with 20MP clarity. And with SuperPhoto, HERO 9 Black can automatically pick all the best image processing for you
- Front Display plus Rear Touch Screen - A new, larger rear touch screen with touch zoom on HERO9 Black and a dazzling new front display makes for easy framing and intuitive camera control.Included components:HERO9 Black Camera,Rechargeable Battery,Curved Adhesive Mount,Mounting Buckle,USB-C Cable,Thumb Screw ,Camera Case
- Live Streaming plus Webcam - Live stream in 1080p on social, get HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast
- HyperSmooth 3.0 - Experience the ultimate smoothness with our most advanced video stabilization ever
We recommend that future studies assess the value of using low-light systems or optical lures in a more scientifically-robust manner. For example, while the bioluminescence-mimicking E-Jelly appears to be an effective tool for attracting cephalopod species, future studies could assess whether lures of differing intensities, colors, or light patterns vary in their capacity to attract various taxa of deep-sea cephalopods,” said the scientists in their paper.