The Husky UGV is basically a robotic unmanned ground vehicle that researchers are using to spy on penguins in Antarctica. That’s right, the project consists of a hybrid (autonomous and remote-controlled) Husky UGV-based robot named ECHO loaded with multiple sensors including a camera and an RFID antenna to read RFID tags from chipped penguins.
Utilizing the RFID scanner, ECHO scans penguins to assess their breeding status and survival success. The robot is capable of tracking individual penguins throughout their lifetimes, allowing researchers to gather data for behavioral and population dynamics research. On the technical side, ECHO comes equipped with LiDAR for collision avoidance / penguin detection, a 360° camera for penguin verification, two GPS modules, and an RFID antenna. Plus, it has Clearpath’s outdoor navigation autonomy software to enable it to roam autonomously amongst penguin colonies. Unlike this penguin semi-submarine boat, the Husky UGV can actually be used for scientific research.
- Safety Priority : UL 2272 certification ensures Ninebot S meets high standards for fire and electrical safety. The Smart Battery Management System provides reliable battery performance. IP54 waterproof protection ensures operation in various weathers.
- Sturdy & Powerful : Ninebot S is compact, weighting just 28 lbs with a max load of 220 lbs. Thanks to the dual 400W motors, it can easily reach a max speed of 10 mph. A single fully charged battery can run up to 13. 7 miles, climbing a max slope of 15°
- Road Adaptive Design : 10. 5" pneumatic tires provide a comfortable and smoother ride on bumpy roads. Knee control bar allows for precise steering and easy lifting. Applicable Age 16 – 50 years. Applicable Height - 3. 11 – 6. 6 Inch. Operating temperature-14-104°F(-10-40°C)
- Intelligent App Management : Download the Segway app for anti-theft function, speed limit and adjustment, vehicle self-diagnose, firmware upgrade, Ambient Light, vehicle remote control and more.
- Quality Assurance: The Ninebot S is sturdy and durable. One-year or 180-day for different parts, please refer to information in product details below, contact us at [email protected] if you have any problems.
The Husky UGV impressed me because it is a highly configurable but integrated platform. The number of add-ons available for purchase and configuration is unrivaled. With good tracking and the ability to “unstick” itself when steered manually, the platform was also ideal for the snow and ice conditions we encountered in Antarctica. Finally, it was critical that the Husky UGV be relatively silent and capable of being driven slowly in order to avoid penguin reactions,” said Daniel Zitterbart, Associate Scientist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.