Photo credit: Children of Darklight
If you’ve never heard of light painting, it’s a photographic techniques that involves moving a light source while taking a long exposure photograph, either to illuminate a subject or space, or to shine light at the camera to ‘draw’, or by moving the camera itself during exposure of light sources. One artist, Frodo Álvarez, used five-drones to create a massive light painting of a soccer (fútbol) player about to kick a ball. Read more for a video and additional information.
Although drones were used to get the lights going, the equipment used to capture the final photographs was an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II equipped with an Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8 Pro lens. For perfect lighting, the grass and ball also had to be illuminated. The artist collaborated with the UMILES Drone Light Show drone team to design and light paint the athlete.
- 【1-INCH IMAGE SENSOR】Equipped with a 1-inch image sensor and large 2.4μm pixels, DJI Air 2S is capable of 5.4K/30fps and 4K/60fps video.
- 【MASTERSHOTS】The next evolution of QuickShots, MasterShots is an advanced intelligent feature that gives users the best shots in any location with just a tap.
- 【THE CENTER OF ATTENTION】FocusTrack features Spotlight 2.0, ActiveTrack 4.0, and Point of Interest 3.0, making it a breeze for DJI Air 2S to follow or circle your subject.
- 【ONE BILLION COLORS】The 10-bit Dlog-M color profile can record up to one billion colors while retaining all the little details that make footage pop.
- 【7.5 MILES MAX VIDEO TRANSMISSION】DJI Air 2S features DJI's most advanced O3 (OcuSync 3.0) image transmission technology, giving you an ultra-smooth, clear, and reliable image feed every time you fly.
They did a great job programming the drones, so our photographic challenges were that we would just have four or five attempts to frame the scene, set the perfect orb size, play with depth and perspective — depending on how close or how far we were to the camera — and to have good exposure of the lights painted in the scene. We only had four attempts because of the drone batteries and the curfew at 11 PM because COVID restrictions,” said artist Frodo Álvarez to PetaPixel.