UK Atomic Energy Authority engineers trained MASCOT robots on how to maintain a fusion energy machine by having them simply play Jenga. These robotic systems are a very important part of putting fusion energy on the grid for the design and maintenance of future fusion powerplants, so the teams most certainly can’t afford them getting stuck.
Each of the MASCOT robots have two arms with grippers that can operate over 900 bespoke tools. They are deployed into JET – a replica training vessel – on the end of an articulated 12-metre boom, driven by UKAEA’s remote handing team from a control room equipped with live camera feeds as well as VR screens. Highly skilled operators then use the two robot arms to control each MASCOT as it performs tasks such as replacing tiles, welding, cutting and surveying to maintain UKAEA’s fusion energy machine. Speaking of arms, did you know that Microsoft created 3D-printed Halo prosthetic arms?
- Safety Priority : UL 2272 certification ensures Ninebot S meets high standards for fire and electrical safety. The Smart Battery Management System provides reliable battery performance. IP54 waterproof protection ensures operation in various weathers.
- Sturdy & Powerful : Ninebot S is compact, weighting just 28 lbs with a max load of 220 lbs. Thanks to the dual 400W motors, it can easily reach a max speed of 10 mph. A single fully charged battery can run up to 13. 7 miles, climbing a max slope of 15°
- Road Adaptive Design : 10. 5" pneumatic tires provide a comfortable and smoother ride on bumpy roads. Knee control bar allows for precise steering and easy lifting. Applicable Age 16 – 50 years. Applicable Height - 3. 11 – 6. 6 Inch. Operating temperature-14-104°F(-10-40°C)
- Intelligent App Management : Download the Segway app for anti-theft function, speed limit and adjustment, vehicle self-diagnose, firmware upgrade, Ambient Light, vehicle remote control and more.
- Quality Assurance: The Ninebot S is sturdy and durable. One-year or 180-day for different parts, please refer to information in product details below, contact us at [email protected] if you have any problems.
The second MASCOT is now in place to train our remote handling team in rescue tasks ensuring its twin can always be saved when working on the maintenance of JET, our machine where EUROfusion researchers set a sustained fusion energy record announced earlier this year,” said Gary Hermon, Remote Handling Lead Technologist at UKAEA.