Hoverboard Explosion

Hoverboards are the latest rage, despite not being an actual hovering board, but one thing’s for sure, there are too many cheap knockoffs being sold with iffy batteries. Unfortunately, Jessica Horne purchased one of these five days before Thanksgiving, for her 12-year-old son. These futuristic skateboards, powered by lithium batteries, enable riders to move without effort, steering with their feet, as long as quality parts are used. Now she blames the device for a fire that destroyed her home. Just one day after using it, her son was charging the battery – using the included charger – when she saw flames shooting from both ends. “It was like fireworks…the middle part of the board – just ‘poof,” said Horne. Continue reading for a video of another person who had their hoverboard catch fire.

Timothy Cade was enjoying his new hoverboard purchased from an Amazon seller last Friday when it suddenly exploded and caught fire beneath his feet outside in Gulf Shores, Alabama. “I came outside turned it on, came down the sidewalk not even a 100 feet, and it exploded. Batteries started shooting out of it; you would not expect a fire like that to come out of a little thing like that. I was not expecting something like that,” said Cade.