Scientists have observed a human study in which they used a type of oxygen therapy to reverse aging, or to be more specific, telomere length and senescent cell accumulation. When humans age, telomeres – the protective caps found at the end of chromosomes – are shortened, which gives rise to malfunctioning senescent cells. The team conducted a clinical trial on 35 adults over the age of 64 to see if Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy could prevent the deterioration in these two indicators of the ageing process. Read more for a video and additional information.
When the study was completed, they discovered that the telomeres in the participants had increased in length my an average of 20%, while their senescent cells had been reduced by up to 37%. In animal studies, scientists found that by removing senescent cells, remaining life was extended by more than one third.
- MASSIVE SCIENCE KIT FOR CURIOUS KIDS - More than 15 experiment activities including dueling water tornadoes, building an erupting volcano, growing a crystal, two geologic dig kits, and more
- ENOUGH TO GO AROUND - This science lab allows kids to conduct multiple experiments and is great to share with family, friends, or classmates; you will enjoy the magic of discovery together
- THE SECRET IS THE SCIENCE - A detailed learning guide teaches the science at work in the experiments, allowing your child to develop a deep, lasting appreciation for a variety of Earth sciences
- HASSLE-FREE EXPERIMENTS - Clear, easy-to-follow instructions build young scientists' confidence as they experiment, allowing them to focus on the joy of exploration and discovery
- RESPECTED QUALITY – National Geographic Toys is proud to provide only the highest quality products, each backed by a complete satisfaction guarantee
Until now, interventions such as lifestyle modifications and intense exercise were shown to have some inhibition effect on the expected telomere length shortening. However, what is remarkable to note in our study, is that in just three months of therapy, we were able to achieve such significant telomere elongation – at rates far beyond any of the current available interventions or lifestyle modifications,” said Dr Amir Hadanny, co-author of the study.