Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way, has been imaged for the first time by a research team using the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT). Despite not being able to see the the black hole itself due to it being completely dark, we do see the glowing gas around, which reveals a a dark central region (shadow) surrounded by a bright ring-like structure.
Since Sgr A* is approximately 27,000 light-years away from Earth, it would appears to be about the same size in the sky as a doughnut on the Moon. Imaging it required the team to create the powerful EHT, which linked together eight existing radio observatories across the planet to form a single “Earth-sized” virtual telescope. This powerful telescope then observed Sgr A* on multiple nights in 2017, collecting data for many hours in a row. To put it into perspective, Sgr A* is many times larger than this mid-sized black hole.
- Superior optics: The Celestron 70mm Travel Scope features high-quality, fully-coated glass optics, a potent 70mm objective lens, a lightweight frame, and a custom backpack to carry it all. Its quality is unmatched in its class and against competitors.
- Powerful eyepieces for up-close viewing: Our telescope for astronomy beginners is equipped with 2 high-quality eyepieces (20mm and 10mm) that provide low- and high-power views of celestial objects at night and terrestrial objects during the day.
- Large 70mm objective lens: Our refractor telescope is equipped with a large 70mm aperture objective lens that provides enhanced, brighter views compared to the 50mm model while adding very little additional weight. Setting up and using the Travel Scope is quick and easy.
- Bonus bag, tripod, moon filter, 2x barlow, bluetooth shutter release, smartphone adapter and software: Highly portable and ready for your digiscoping adventures. Also includes a FREE download of one of the top consumer rated astronomy software programs.
- Unbeatable warranty and customer support: Buy with confidence from the telescope brand, based in California since 1960. You’ll also receive a 2-year warranty and unlimited access to technical support from our team of US-based experts.
We were stunned by how well the size of the ring agreed with predictions from Einstein’s Theory of General Relativity. These unprecedented observations have greatly improved our understanding of what happens at the very centre of our galaxy, and offer new insights on how these giant black holes interact with their surroundings,” said Geoffrey Bower, EHT Project Scientist from the Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics, Academia Sinica, Taipei.