Photo credit: Tim O’Hara
Australian researchers have discovered the remnants of an ancient submarine volcano in the Indian Ocean that looks oddly similar to the “Eye of Sauron” from J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy. It was detected using a multi-beam sonar at a depth of 3,100 meters (10,170 feet) beneath Australia’s Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization’s (CSIRO) ocean research vessel RV Investigator approximately 280 kilometers (174 miles) southeast of Christmas Island. Read more for two more pictures, additional information and a bonus video.
Photo credit: Phil Vandenbossche | Nelson Kuna/CSIRO
Aside from this underwater volcano, the three-dimensional mapping also revealed two other seafloor structures, both with Tolkein-inspired names, called Barad-dûr and Ered Lithui. These structures are both located near the Eye of Sauron in Mordor. All three of these appear to be a part of a cluster of seamounts that have been previously estimated to be more than 100 million years old, which had formed next to an ancient sea ridge when Australia was located more near Antarctica than Asia.
- High Speed Remote Control Boats: AlphaRev R208 Remote Controlled Boat races across the water up to 20 MPH, 4-channel 2.4GHZ remote control with a 400 Ft signal range
- Safe Protection And Easy Operation: Water sensor switch ensures your safety. Low battery reminder and out of rang warning make both adults and kids play without worry
- Saltwater RC Boats: The Non-Capsize Hull System can flip the R208 quickly from wave. Racing R208 in the sea like a real jet boat!
- LED Lights and Autopilot Mode: Led lights allow you identify the position and direction of the boat in the Pools and Lakes at night.Press the autopilot mode button, the hull will automatically move back and forth in the "8" shape, bring more fun to children
- Perfect Gift For Kids And Adults: AlphaRev RC Speedboat has LIFETIME WARRANTY and NOT SATISFACTION REFUND, please feel free to get in touch with [email protected] , we provide 24-hours professional after-sell service
Previously unknown and unimagined, this volcano emerged from our screens as a giant oval-shaped depression called a caldera, 6.2 kilometers by 4.8 kilometers across. It is surrounded by a 300 [meter]-high rim (resembling Sauron’s eyelids), and has a 300 [meter] high cone-shaped peak at its…[center](the “pupil”),” said Tim O’Hara, chief scientist and senior curator at Museums Victoria.