Let’s face it, even the most secure locks can be picked by professionals, but is there such a thing as an unpickable lock? Shane from Stuff Made Here just might have built one. Standard pin tumbler locks can be picked by lifting or bumping the pins while placing tension on the cylinder pins. This innovative design prevents the pins from being set in an unlocked position individually, by locking them in the position they are set, thus preventing someone from bumping them. Read more for a video showing the build and additional information.
Many of the parts had to be fabricated many times, and the pin holding mechanism was the biggest issue, as it just did not work consistently. Once completed, Shane hired a local locksmith to see if he could pick it, and using all known techniques, was unable to do so. Unfortunately (or fortunately), this lock is just a concept and will not go into production anytime soon.
- Upgrade your existing deadbolt: August smart locks fit on the inside of your door, making your regular deadbolt smarter, more secure and way more convenient. Keep your keys just in case (but you won’t need them)
- Grant access with the August App: Forget key copying. Quickly and easily share permanent, scheduled or temporary access to your home with friends, family and other people you trust, and never put a key under the doormat again
- Easy to install on any door: Even if you’re not so handy, installation only takes about 10 minutes. August locks fit perfectly over most single cylinder deadbolts
- Auto-Locks and Unlocks: Auto-Unlocks as you get home for totally hands-free unlocking. With Auto-Lock and DoorSense, your home automatically secures once your door is closed, or after a set amount of time (optional feature)
- Works seamlessly with your smart home: Included Connect Wi-Fi hub allows your lock to work with your favorite voice assistant, including Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, Samsung SmartThings and more