Mechanical engineer Ian Davis was involved in a work accident last year that caused him to lose four of his fingers on his left hand, and to top things off, his insurance didn’t cover a prosthetic. Insurance stated that for him to be eligible for a prosthetic, his palm would have also required amputation, as the fingers are “not medically necessary”. So, he got into 3D printing to build his own partial prosthetic. Read more for two videos and additional information.
He’s still making improvements to the prosthetic as this story goes live, but one thing is for sure, he enjoys this mechanical prosthetic much more than electronic versions, as it only takes him 0.2-seconds to open or close the hand. In comparison, an electronic version would take 2.0-seconds for each direction on an Össur I-Digits Quantum.
- Builders of all ages will love building and coding their fully-functional robot to walk, talk, and even play games or complete tasks! This educational STEM robot toy makes engineering fun for everyone who builds it.
- LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 is built with 601 pieces and includes the intelligent EV3 Brick, 3 servo motors, plus color, touch and IR sensors. Connect with your smart device and download the free EV3 programmer app to control the robot!
- LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 comes with instructions for 17 different robotic designs, each with its own unique features. Builders can program their STEM robots to talk, walk, grab, shoot targets and more! Kids will love this creative and educational toy!
- LEGO MINDSTORMS building toys are compatible with all LEGO construction sets for creative building.The perfect tech toy if you want to build your own robot and explore endless learning activities
- The main robot, SPIK3R, is over 16” high, 14” long and 15” wide.
- Resume Printing Function: Ender 3 has the ability to resume printing even after a power outage or lapse occurs.
- Easy and Qucik Assembly: It comes with several assembled parts, you only need about 2 hours to assemble 20 nuts well.
- Advanced Extruder Technology: Upgraded extruder greatly reduces plugging risk and bad extrustion; V-shape with POM wheels make it move noiseless, smoothly and durable.
- Safety Protected Power Supply: Only needs 5 minutes for hot bed to reach 110 degree.
- Strict Test: Strict testing for key components before delivery and life-time technical supports available.