Vanity plates are nothing new, but it takes a geek to get really creative with them – having a DeLorean also helps. They range from clever to just downright nerdy, and on a variety of vehicles. Continue reading to see thirty of the geekiest examples.
- France issued the first license plate in 1893, followed by Germany in 1896.
- New York required license plates in 1901, but local jurisdictions were responsible for issuing them.
- Massachusetts and West Virginia became the first states to issue license plates.
- Pre-World War II license plates are hard to find because of the huge scrap drives during the war.
- Front and back license plates are required for Missouri and 29 other states, but Nevada and Massachusetts have exceptions for vintage cars – only rear plates are required for those cars.