If you’re not a film buff, Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat is touted as one of the most famous films in cinema history, shot by French filmmakers Auguste and Louis Lumière. When it debuted in 1896, the film was ahead of its time, but compared to the technology available today, the footage appears grainy and extremely dated. Denis Shiryaev decided to use modern machine-learning techniques, or in other words, AI-powered neural networsk to upscale it to 4K resolution. Read more to see both the upscaled and original versions.
How was this accomplished? Shiryaev used commercial image-editing software called Gigapixel AI by Topaz Labs, which enables users to upscale images by up to 600 percent. Gigapixel AI uses complex neural networks to add realistic details into an image to make it as clear as possible when scaled up.
- The advanced video capabilities of the PowerShot G7 X Mark II camera can capture moments in the quality they deserve
- Features a large 1.0 inch, 20.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor that helps capture high quality images and videos with a wide dynamic range. Autofocus system features tile autofocus and manual focus. Operating temperature is 0 to 40 degrees Celsius. Note charging time varies considerably depending on the remaining battery power
- An aperture value of f/1.8 at the wide angle and f/2.8 when fully zoomed to a factor of 4.2x (24-100 millimeter), this lens equipped to capture a variety of situations with precision
- High resolution, 3.0 inches LCD monitor that tilts up 180 degrees and down 45 degrees is ideal for self portraits and capturing pictures at high and low angles with ease
- Built in WiFi for on the go convenience and the ability to easily post your images to select social networking and media sites
A neural network analyzes thousands of photo pairs to learn how details usually get lost. The algorithm learns to ‘fill in’ information in new images based on what it has learned, effectively adding new detail to your photo,” according to Topaz Labs on the product page for Gigapixel AI.