It’s true, the Grand Theft Auto V R.E.A.L. mod lets you play the entire game in virtual reality, complete with cutscenes. This mod needed to tweak the UI to make everything compatible, and it currently works with both Oculus Rift and Steam VR headsets. The developer decided on a solution that combines ease of access to the various information fields available on the HUD (such as game hints, ammo, subtitles, and especially the all-important radar) and the necessity in VR to keep the HUD out of the way. Read more for a hands-on demonstration, additional information and the download page.
The HUD is semi-transparent and suspended in space around 3-feet in front of your head, while being slightly larger than your field of view in VR, so you’ll have to turn your head a little in the direction of the HUD element that you want to observe. This prevents your normal line of sight from being occluded by the HUD elements. The only notable exception happens when you’re aiming, in which case the HUD will become smaller and headlocked, so you’ll always have all the information that you need visible in front of you, even when your head rotates quickly to follow enemies. Download page here.
- Personal Viewing: The littlest, big screen. Crystal clear optics and state-of-the-art 3D graphics make your headset feel more like a personal theater
- Viewing with Friends: Watch with friends. Meet up in VR with friends and fans from around the world to catch live sports, concerts, or just your...
- Portable & Easy to Use: Ready when you are. Experience portable, all-in-1 VR. That means no PC, phone, wires or hassles
- All-in-one VR: Simply set up the device with your Oculus mobile app and Oculus Quest has everything you need to explore VR, right out of the box
- Insight tracking: Oculus Insight tracking system instantly reflects your movements in VR without the need for any external accessories
- Touch controllers: Oculus Touch controllers precisely recreate your hands, their gestures and interactions, so every game is real enough to reach out...
Great news for those of you who like to play the story missions in VR: I finally came up with a universal FOV fix that also works in cutscenes! No more in-your-face characters, no more camera zooms, no more world warping when you turn your head!,” said its developer.