China successfully launched three astronauts – Nie Haisheng, Liu Boming and Tang Hongbo – into space on Thursday aboard the Shenzhou-12 spacecraft sitting atop a Long March-2F carrier rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China’s Gobi Desert. It will send the crew to the core module of the planned space station, called Tiangong (Heavenly Palace), which is currently being constructed in low Earth orbit. Read more for two videos and additional information.
After Shenzou-12 enters orbit, the spacecraft will conduct a fast automated rendezvous and docking with the in-orbit space station core module Tianhe. These three astronauts will then be stationed in the core module and remain in orbit for approximately three months. The Tiangong space station is set to be assembled using several modules launched at different times, but once completed, it’s expected to operate for at least 10 years.
- Bring to life the rocket launch that took humans to the moon with the meter-high (approximately 1: 110 scale) model rocket of the NASA Apollo Saturn V
- The Saturn V rocket kit includes 3 removable rocket stages (first, s-ii second, and s-ivb third) below the launch escape system, command and service module; Plus, there are 2 minifigures to accompany the Lunar Lander and splashdown rocket toy
- After building the Saturn V rocket, you can display the spacecraft horizontally with 3 stands; The Lunar Lander docks with the command and service modules while the Lunar Orbiter sends the rocket into space
- Recreate space adventures with this NASA toy and action figures based off of the included booklet about the manned Apollo Moon missions and the fan designers of this build and play set
- This spaceship toy measures over 39-inches (100cm) high and 6-inches (17cm) in diameter; It includes 1,969 pieces and is ideal for boys and girls 14 years or older
We are honored to take the lead in a series of manned missions for the space station construction, and we have many expectations,” said Nie Haisheng, Shenzhou 12 commander, during a press conference at Jiuquan on Tuesday.