Scientists have discovered an Earth-sized exoplanet orbiting the closest star in our solar system, Proxima Centauri. This planet, called Proxima b, has a mass of 1.17-times that of the Earth and is located in the habitable zone of Proxima Centauri, 4.2-light-years away. The team used data collected by ESPRESSO, a newly developed spectrograph capable of detecting planets around low-mass stars with extreme precision. Read more for a video and additional information.
ESPRESSO performed radial velocity measurements on Proxima Centauri with an accuracy of 30 cm/s, or in other words, three times more precise than those that were obtained in 2016 using the High Accuracy Radial Velocity Planet Searcher (HARPS). As mentioned previously, Proxima b is 1.17 earth masses and orbits around its star in just 11.2 days.
- Quality Optics: 400mm(f/5.7) focal length and 70mm aperture, fully coated optics glass lens with high transmission coatings creates stunning images and protect your eyes. Perfect telescope for astronomers to explore stars and moon.
- Magnification: Come with two replaceable eyepieces and one 3x Barlow lens.3x Barlow lens trebles the magnifying power of each eyepiece. 5x24 finder scope with mounting bracket and cross-hair lines inside make locating objects easily.
- Wireless Remote: Free includes one smart phone adapter and one Wireless camera remote to explore the nature of the world easily through the screen and take amazing celestial images.
- Adjustable Tripod: This telescope allows for many different viewing positions with a adjustable aluminum alloy tripod and a carry bag, the telescope and tripod can fit inside the bag for easy traveling and storage.
- Satisfaction: lifetime maintenance. If you have any question about product and service, please feel free to contact us, we will do our best to help you in 24 hours.
We were already very happy with the performance of HARPS, which has been responsible for discovering hundreds of exoplanets over the last 17 years. We’re really pleased that ESPRESSO can produce even better measurements, and it’s gratifying and just reward for the teamwork lasting nearly 10 years,” said study co-author Professor Francesco Pepe.