Photo credit: David Brunelle
Elon Musk’s Starlink satellite internet constellation being constructed by SpaceX has gone live for some beta testers and compared to the current offerings in rural areas, it’s blazing fast. The constellation consists of thousands of mass-produced small satellites in low Earth orbit (LEO), working in combination with ground transceivers. Starlink beta will cost you $99 a month and then $499 upfront for the user terminal, mounting tripod, as well as router. Read more for an unboxing and speed test videos.
One beta tester, Wandering-coder on Reddit, said he achieved speeds of 135Mbps down and 25Mbps up with just 21ms latency when the dish was installed ground-level in a limited obstruction area. When placed in a ground-level area with significant obstruction (bad weather, treetops, fences, houses), he still managed to get 46Mbps download and 15Mbps upload speeds with 41ms latency. Now one thing we don’t know is what kind of speeds you can get if you install it on a roof.
- 【New Series, New WiFi Experience】Meshforce M3 dedicates to bring you high performance WiFi experience. It’s ideal for extending WiFi to devices like your mobile, PC, TV, IP camera. More friendly app configuration and greater coverage than original version.
- 【Better Coverage, Full WiFi Signal】Meshforce M3 suite working seamlessly to create a mesh network that can cover homes up to 4,000 sq. ft- from living room to your garage. Supports up to 60 devices connects to WiFi simultaneously. No dead zone anymore.
- 【One SSID, Dual Band】 Meshforce M3 allows you to enjoy seamless roaming throughout the house with a single network name and password.Dual Band connections are perfect for lag-free HD video streaming and gaming. Reliable signal through the wall without loss.
- 【Keep Your Data Safe】Protect your network and connected devices with WPA/WPA2 Mixed security level password encryption. Welcome your visitors with guest network in isolated WiFi zone, protects your data and smart home access.
- 【Easy to Setup and Manage】Get your new home network up and running in few minutes with Mymesh app. Manage your connections and guest network at home or remotely, anytime and anyplace.
Bootup is roughly 1 minute when plugged into power, then it takes anywhere from 1 minute to 15 minutes to properly orient mechanically. Positioning is all done automatically, so it’s basically plug & play… There is a single powered Ethernet wire from the antenna array to the power supply, and a single powered Ethernet wire from the power supply to the router. The provided antenna wire is fixed to the antenna, but well over 100′. There is no setup involved besides physical placement and setting a name of the Wi-Fi network and password—all the tricky stuff is automated,” said one user.