The problem with most laptops is that once the hardware inside them is due for an upgrade, the entire computer needs to be replaced, aside from the RAM and hard drive. Meet the Framework Laptop. This thin, lightweight, high-performance 13.5” laptop can easily be upgraded, customized, and repaired in ways that no other competitor can. It features a precision crafted / milled aluminum housing that weighs just 2.86-pounds, a 13.5-inch (2256×1504 resolution) display, 11th Gen Intel Core Processors configurable with Wi-Fi 6E, up to 64GB of DDR4 memory, and 4TB or more of Gen4 NVMe storage, along with a high cycle-life 55Wh battery. Read more for additional pictures and information.
What really sets it apart is the Expansion Card system that lets users choose exactly the ports they want and which side, complete with four bays offering USB-C, USB-A, HDMI, DisplayPort, MicroSD, ultra fast storage, a high-end headphone amp, and more. In addition to socketed storage, WiFi, and two slots of memory, the entire mainboard can be swapped to boost performance as updated versions are launched with the latest generation CPUs. Other things like the battery, screen, keyboard, and color-customizable magnetic-attach bezel are also easy to replace. Pre-orders will be accepted this spring with shipments beginning in the summer.
- 10th Generation Intel Core i5-10300H Processor (Up to 4.5GHz)
- 15" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit 144Hz Refresh Display | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Graphics with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
- 8GB DDR4 2933MHz Memory | 256GB NVMe SSD (2 x PCIe M.2 Slots - 1 Slot Open for Easy Upgrades) & 1 - Available Hard Drive Bay
- LAN: Killer Ethernet E2600 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN | Wireless: Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax
- Backlit Keyboard | Acer CoolBoost Technology with Twin Fans and Quad Exhaust Ports Design
The Framework Laptop is available in a range of pre-configured models running Windows 10 Home or Pro. For those of you who love to tinker, we’ve also created the Framework Laptop DIY Edition, the only high-end notebook available as a kit of modules that you can customize and assemble yourself, with the ability to choose Windows or install your preferred Linux distribution. Regardless of the path you take, we include a screwdriver in the box so you can upgrade over time,” said the company.