Photo credit: Hankook via NewAtlas
Hankook’s research team partnered with biorobotics experts at Seoul National University and Harvard engineers to develop an origami-inspired transformable wheel that could be used on future vehicles, including on the Moon. These three-layer wheels can shapeshift by expanding from 46 to 80 cm (18.1 to 31.5 in), while supporting enough weight to fit a full-sized chassis on it. Non-folding panels have been placed in between laser-cut aluminum facet panels for additional rigidity. Read more for a video and additional information.
Despite how it looks, the wheel supports more than 2,248-pounds, even when shape-shifting. The flexible membranes fold outward between the two settings to offer both flexibility and softness, which is perfect for shock absorption, just like conventional rubber tires. The unique tread pattern helps it roll over various terrains with ease.
- Packed with clever design features and unexpected surprises, this LEGO Police Station (10278) model building kit is the perfect set for adults looking for a mindful project.
- Discover stylish features with crime-busting details, including a case board with authentic red lines connecting the clues, reel-to-reel recorder, jail cell, evidence locker and more.
- With 2,923 pieces and 5 minifigures, including a 1940s-era police officer, there’s lots to discover. Printed tiles like the billboard, telephone and typewriter bring the detailed scenes to life.
- Ideal for true-crime fans and LEGO lovers alike, this building kit gives hours of enjoyment and a creative experience that will appeal to adults.
- Adult LEGO fans will love the novel pieces in this set, including 2 pieces in ultra-rare nougat color, 4 blank animal-head pieces used for the cornice detail and an inverted 2-color arch