The Peel Trident was launched at the 1964 British Motorcycle Show held at Earls Court. The glass-fiber shell was a monocoque with coil-sprung, undamped wheels. It featured a clear bubble top and either two seats or one seat with a detachable shopping basket. Similar to its predecessor, the P50, it’s powered by a 49 cc DKW engine that produces 4.2 hp, good for a top speed of 28 mph. Continue reading for another video, more pictures and information. Click here for a few bonus images.
It was advertised that the Trident got 100 miles per imperial gallon (83 mpg‑US), “almost cheaper than walking”. The original retail price was £190. All engines supplied to Peel from Zweirad Union (for both the P50 and Trident) were of the 49 cc 3-speed 4.2 hp 804�1600 type. Uniquely, however, the Peel engines had the 8th digit as a 4, thus being of the form 80416004***.