Photo credit: Joondong Kim
Professor Joondong Kim, along with an international team of researchers, have developed a transparent solar cell made from thin films of materials responsible for absorbing light. They combined titanium dioxide and nickel oxide semiconductors to achieve this. The professor believes that the unique features of transparent photovoltaic cells could have various applications in human technology, like used in the windows of skyscrapers. Read more for a video about invisible solar panel technology and additional information.
Titanium dioxide (TiO2), a semiconductor already used to manufacture solar cells, is an eco-friendly and non-toxic material. It absorbs UV light while still letting through most of the visible light range. The second material, nickel oxide (NiO), another semiconductor with high optical transparency, is one of the abundant elements on Earth, and can easily be manufactured at low industrial temperatures. This makes nickel oxide an excellent material to make eco-friendly cells.
- 【High-Efficieny】The high-efficiency of its three solar Monocrystalline panels cell is based on SunPower Maxeon technology, that allows them to reach 21%-24% of conversion efficiency while providing enough power (up to 2.0A max per port or 3.0 A max overall)
- 【Advanced Smart IC Chip Technology】 Microchip support to detects the electronic devices plugged into the USB ports for fast charging two phones simultaneously under safe conditions as well as the prevention of overheating
- 【Portable and Foldable】The 6.3x 11.1x 1.06 inch (when folded ) small size and 17.3-ounce design that can easily squeeze in your backpack offers portability and simplicity, and the attachment hook makes it ideal for connecting to a backpack while you’re on the hiking or walking around town
- 【Dualable Design】The canvas surface and precision stitching withstand rugged for outdoor use and the PET polymer cover that guarantees IPX4 waterproof level protection will make the panels resistant to water and even dust
- 【Package】Nekteck 21W Solar Charging Panel, 2.6ft(80cm)Micro USB Cable, User Manual