Photo credit: Lim Huey Teng | Reuters
A team of researchers from Malaysia have figured out how to turn the fiber found in discarded pineapple leaves into a rigid material that can be used to manufacture frames for drones. These unmanned aircraft made from bio-composite material were found to have a higher strength-to-weight ratio than those made from synthetic fibers, while also being much more cost efficient. The result is a drone with a lighter frame that is easier to dispose of, as damaged units can just be buried in the ground and have it degrade within 2-weeks. Read more for a video and additional information.
The prototype drone can fly to a height of 3,280-feet and stay in the air for about 20 minutes. Ultimately, they plan to make a larger drone out of these pineapple leaves to accommodate heavier payloads, like imagery sensors, for agricultural purposes as well as aerial inspections.
- 【PACK LIGHT, FLY FREE】: at less than 249 g, it weighs about as much as an apple and fits in the palm of your hand. compact and convenient, this small drone is your ideal travel companion, transforming how you capture your favorite memories.
- 【3-AXIS GIMBAL WITH 4K CAMERA】: a 12mp camera in the sky delivers content guaranteed to impress. along with 4k/30fps video and a 3-axis motorized gimbal, mini 2 ensures stunning image quality that is consistently smooth no matter how adventurous your piloting gets.
- 【OCUSYNC 2.0 VIDEO TRANSMISSION】: mini 2 supports up to 10km of hd video transmission and has excellent anti-interference capabilities, giving you the ability to fly farther and see clearer.
- 【POWERFUL PERFORMANCE】: with a max battery life of 31 minutes, dji mini 2 grants more than enough time to compose the perfect shot. mini 2 can resist level 5 winds and take off at a max altitude of 4,000 meters, so your footage is stable even when flying along a windy coastline or high above an alpine forest.
- 【4X ZOOM】: there’s no need to get so close for your dream shot. 4x digital zoom makes it safer and more convenient when transitioning between shots of varying distance and composition. Operating Frequency 2.400-2.4835 GHz, 5.725-5.850 GHz
We are transforming the leaf of the pineapple into a fibre that can be used for aerospace application, basically inventing a drone. Our role here is to help the industry, the farmers, to increase their yield and make their jobs much easier,” said Professor Mohamed Thariq Hameed Sultan to Reuters.