Photo credit: Peta Pixel
During World War 2 (1939-1945), photographers used the massive K-17 Army Air Force aerial cameras to capture images from above. They came equipped with a 6″ focal length Metrogon lens and was considered the standard for mapping cameras of its day as well as long after the war. The 20th Air Force used it for some reconnaissance photography with the K-17 and 12″ lens late in the war. However, they were most commonly used for mapping with the 6″ Metrogon lens. Read more for another picture and additional information.
It was normally operated from a 24 VDC electrical source, but could also be manually controlled with a hand crank and shutter lever. Each camera was fitted with a connector for an intervalometer that fired the shutter at an interval set by the aerial photographer.
- 【LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE】: as the smallest 3-axis stabilized handheld camera DJI has ever designed, the compact and intelligent OSMO pocket turns any moment into a cinematic memory
- 【AMAZINGLY POWERFUL PERFORMANCE】: OSMO pocket snaps photos in stunning detail, thanks to a 1/2. 3-Inch sensor, 80° FOV, and F/2. 0 aperture. It can also shoot 4K/60Fps video at 100Mbps and photos at 12 MP with a Pixel size of 1. 55 μm for footage worth sharing every time
- 【CREATIVE】: Osmo Pocket can be connected to your phone for expanded viewing, sharing, and creative options
- 【A VARIETY OF FUNCTIONS】: Osmo Pocket features a variety of functions that allow you to create even more creative content including: ActiveTrack, FaceTrack, Timelapse, Motionlapse, Pano, NightShot, Story Mode
- 【COMPATIBILITY】: DJI Mimo App requires iOS 10.0, Android 7.0 or above. Compatible devices include: iPhone 11 Pro Max, 11 Pro, 11, XS Max, XS, XR, X, 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6, SE, Samsung Galaxy S10+, S10, S9+, S9, S8+, S7, S7 Edge, S6, S6 Edge, Note 8, Huawei P30 Pro, P30, P20, P10, Mate 10 Pro, Mate 10, Mate 9 Pro, Mate 9, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo NEX, Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S, Mi 8, Mi 6, OnePlus 7, 6T, 5, Pixel 3 XL, 2 XL, 2, Google Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 2
While these cameras were normally clamped into mounts, a pair of handles and a viewfinder could be fitted to K-17s and K-18s for hand-held operation. What “hand-held” meant is subject to interpretation, as these cameras were not lightweights. With a 200 foot roll of film, the A-5 film magazine used with the K-17 weighed 30 pounds. A complete K-17 with 12″ lens cone and a full magazine weighed about 55 pounds. With a 24″ lens instead of the 12″, the weight climbed to near 75 pounds,” said one photographer.