In real life, the Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey is basically a multi-mission, tiltrotor military aircraft with both vertical takeoff / landing (VTOL) and short takeoff / landing (STOL) capabilities. It’s essentially designed to combine the functionality of a conventional helicopter with the long-range, high-speed cruise performance of a turboprop aircraft. LEGO was planning on releasing a Technic (42113) set based on this aircraft next month, but as of today, it’s been indefinitely delayed. Read more for a hands-on review and additional information.
The German Peace Society is protesting this Osprey set because it’s based on a military vehicle, but this LEGO version is of a search and rescue variant, without weapons. This week, protestors plan on staging events outside three LEGO Stores in Germany, including their flagship outlet in Berlin.
- Build a realistic Rescue Helicopter toy with opening side and rear doors, working winch and a rescue stretcher
- This 2-in-1 LEGO Technic toy helicopter rebuilds into a Concept Plane
- Rescue Helicopter measures over 4 inches (12cm) high, 11 inches (29cm) long and 9 inches (23cm) wide Concept Plane measures over 2 inches (7cm) high, 10 inches (27cm) long and 11 inches (30cm)
- 325 pieces – For boys and girls aged 8+ and for fans and big kids of all ages
- This LEGO Technic Rescue Helicopter 42092 set can be built together with all other original LEGO sets and LEGO bricks for creative building
The LEGO Technic Bell Boeing Osprey V-22 was designed to highlight the important role the aircraft plays in search and rescue efforts. While our set depicts a rescue version of the plane, the aircraft is predominately used by the military. We have a long-standing policy not to create sets which feature military vehicles and in this case we have not adhered to our own internal guidelines. As a result, we are currently reviewing our plans to launch this product on August 1.