LG Chem’s ‘Real Folding Window’ display technology is unlike any other, as this specially developed coating material is applied to make the surface as hard as glass, while the folding parts remain as flexible as plastic. More specifically, it differs from the polyimide films and tempered glass-type materials of today because the cover window applied on LG Chem’s new coating technologies maximize flexibility, while also providing optimized solutions for foldable phones, especially where the screen creases. Read more for another picture and additional information.
This new material measures just a few dozen micrometers (㎛) thick on both sides of PET film, which is a type of thin plastic, to enhance heat-resistance as well as strengthen the mechanical properties of plastic materials. As you can see, it’s far thinner compared to existing tempered glass and has the same hardness, but without the risk of cracking. Compared to existing polyimide film, the Real Folding Window’s flexibility and durability is maintained completely even when being folded more than 200,000 times.
- Expansive Screen: See more and do more with the ultimate folding mobile phone screen that puts a super slim tablet right in your pocket
- Nearly Invisible Camera: Take in an incredible uninterrupted view with a true edge-to-edge viewing experience thanks to our first-ever Under Display Camera
- 120Hz AMOLED 2X Screen: Everything looks brilliant on this big, beautiful, clear display, offering a mesmerizing and dynamic viewing experience
- Multiple Windows Get More Done: Start working smarter not harder with three multi-windows that allow you to schedule, edit, and build presentations in a snap — or take notes with the S Pen*
- Hyper Fast Speed: Live life in the fast lane with built-in 5G connectivity and hyper-fast processing power
Through the Real Folding Window that we newly developed, we were able to take a step closer to resolving the pain points of customers, and we have already received proposals for joint projects from multiple clients. We will strengthen our partnerships with leading companies of the smartphone industry and expand our market starting with mobiles and going on to new foldable applications such as laptops and tablets,” said Chang Do Ki (Vice President / Division Leader, IT Materials Division. Advanced Materials).