The metaverse is taking over the world, and in the near future, we may be able to feel things inside this virtual world, thanks to haptic gloves. That’s right, as you assemble a virtual puzzle, your fingers automatically stop moving as you feel a piece within your grasp. You’ll also feel the sharp corners and the smoothness of its surface as you hold it up for closer inspection, followed by a recognizable snap as it fits into place. Read more for a video and additional information.
To make this possible, the Meta Reality Research team is using new soft actuators comprised of tiny flexible motors all over the glove that move in concert to deliver sensation to the wearer’s hand. These gloves also make use of the first high-speed microfluidic processor, which is essentially a small microfluidic chip that controls airflow that moves the actuators.
- Next-level Hardware - Make every move count with a blazing-fast processor and our highest-resolution display
- All-In-One Gaming - With backward compatibility, you can explore new titles and old favorites in the expansive Quest content library
- Immersive Entertainment - Get the best seat in the house to live concerts, groundbreaking films, exclusive events and more
- Easy Setup - Just open the box, set up with the smartphone app and jump into VR. No PC or console needed. Requires wireless internet access and the Oculus app (free download) to set up device
- Premium Display - Catch every detail with a stunning display that features 50% more pixels than the original Quest
Our haptic glove project started as a moonshot, but it’s increasingly feasible as we continue to innovate and complete research. Over the last seven years, we’ve pioneered new techniques, technologies and disciplines, pushing the boundaries of what’s possible with soft robotics and inventing entirely new materials and manufacturing processes,” said the company.