Photo credit: Jason Dorfman | CSAIL
Yes, 5G is claimed to be taking over the world soon, and it has indeed been slowly rolling out worldwide, but there are many barriers that remain, preventing widespread adoption. One big problem is that we can’t get faster internet speeds without more efficient ways of delivering wireless signals, whether it be adding antennas to either the transmitter (i.e., Wi-Fi access points and cell towers) or the receiver (such as a phone or laptop). MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) researchers have developed RFocus, a software-controlled “smart surface” that uses more than 3,000 antennas to maximize the strength of the signal at the receiver, to solve it. Read more for another picture and additional information.
During tests, this smart surface could improve the average signal strength by a factor of almost 10, while also being cost-effective, with each antenna costing only a few cents. How is this possible? Well,the antennas are inexpensive because they don’t process the signal at all, as they just control how it is reflected. Put simply, RFocu iss a two-dimensional surface composed of thousands of antennas that can each either let the signal through or reflect it.
- Extend Wireless Coverage - Boost your Internet WiFi coverage up to 1292 sq.Ft and supports up to 20 devices. rockspace dual band WiFi range extender compatible with all WiFi 5 routers, offers powerful 300Mbps on 2.4GHz and 433Mbps on 5GHz
- Reliable Connection - Expand the existing wireless signal coverage for your phones, smart TV, doorbell, IP camera, and other smart home& office devices. Equipped with a Gigabit Ethernet port, rockspace WiFi repeater transfer a lossless internet speed for your wired devices
- Universally Compatible - Compatible with all WiFi 5 router, gateway, or cable modem with WiFi, rockspace WiFi signal booster easily provides ultra-stable transmission for online gaming, video conferences and even streaming 4K HD video
- Easy Setup - Taps the WPS button for a quick installation within 30 seconds. You can also follow the onscreen instruction to set it up on the website page. Do not ignore the smart indicator light helps to install in best optimal locations
- US Standard WiFi Security - rockspace internet signal booster facilitates WEP/WPA/WPA2 security protocols, keep all your privacy protected. If you experience any trouble during or after setup, please contact us, rockspace offers a lifetime technical support
The core goal here was to explore whether we can use elements in the environment and arrange them to direct the signal in a way that we can actually control. If you want to have wireless devices that transmit at the lowest possible power, but give you a good signal, this seems to be one extremely promising way to do it,” said MIT Professor Hari Balakrishnan, senior author on a new paper about RFocus.