Photo credit: Jason Dorfman | CSAIL
Yes, 5G is claimed to be taking over the world soon, and it has indeed been slowly rolling out worldwide, but there are many barriers that remain, preventing widespread adoption. One big problem is that we can’t get faster internet speeds without more efficient ways of delivering wireless signals, whether it be adding antennas to either the transmitter (i.e., Wi-Fi access points and cell towers) or the receiver (such as a phone or laptop). MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) researchers have developed RFocus, a software-controlled “smart surface” that uses more than 3,000 antennas to maximize the strength of the signal at the receiver, to solve it. Read more for another picture and additional information.
During tests, this smart surface could improve the average signal strength by a factor of almost 10, while also being cost-effective, with each antenna costing only a few cents. How is this possible? Well,the antennas are inexpensive because they don’t process the signal at all, as they just control how it is reflected. Put simply, RFocu iss a two-dimensional surface composed of thousands of antennas that can each either let the signal through or reflect it.
- 【Stable signal boosts】- with dual band technology, This Wi-Fi range extender can automatically choose high-quality band for better performance. It offers up to 300Mbps for 2.4GHz and 433Mbps for 5GHz. Totally 733Mbps is available for your use, maximizing reduces the loss of data transmission.
- 【Full signal coverage】- equipped with dual external antennas, this Wi-Fi Repeater extends Wi-Fi coverage 360 degree by up to 1292 sq.Ft. Reliable data transmission rate up to 733Mbps covering your bedroom, floors, restroom and garden. Gigabit Ethernet port also allow this Wi-Fi Booster function as a wireless adapter to connect wired devices.
- 【Quick & Easy set up】- only takes 8 seconds! This Wi-Fi signal booster can easily expand the wireless coverage by press the WPS button. Or set up via browser website based configuration in almost any device, including iOS and Android mobile platforms.
- 【Compatible with 99% router】- this Wi-Fi Repeater has been tested can compatible with 99% router on the market, and works with any standard router or gateway. Support extending to any devices like iOS, Android devices, Samsung devices, Echo/Alexa devices, PCs, PlayStation, smart plugs and so much more. Ideal for HD streaming & gaming experience.
- 【Easily find the perfect setup spot】 - smart Signal Indicator helps you to find the best location for Wi-Fi coverage. This Wi-Fi range extender can help you get rid of testing instantly and set up quickly. After extending successfully, you can relocate a perfect spot which can maintain a best extending Effect.
The core goal here was to explore whether we can use elements in the environment and arrange them to direct the signal in a way that we can actually control. If you want to have wireless devices that transmit at the lowest possible power, but give you a good signal, this seems to be one extremely promising way to do it,” said MIT Professor Hari Balakrishnan, senior author on a new paper about RFocus.