On February 5, 1971, Apollo 14 astronauts Edgar Mitchell and Alan Shepard stepped onto the lunar surface in the first of two lunar excursions. In the image above, we see astronaut Edgar D. Mitchell deploying the U.S. flag on the lunar surface during the early moments of the mission’s first spacewalk, photographed by mission commander Alan B. Shepard Jr. They descended in the Lunar Module “Antares” to explore the Fra Mauro region of the moon, astronaut Stuart A. Roosa, command module pilot, remained with the Command and Service Module “Kitty Hawk” in lunar orbit. Read more for a fascinating look back and additional information.
During the two lunar excursions, approximately 94.35 pounds of Moon rocks were collected, and several scientific experiments were performed. Alan Shepard hit two golf balls on the lunar surface with a makeshift club he had brought with him, and in all, both astronauts spent 331⁄2 hours on the Moon, with almost 91⁄2 hours of EVA. Shepard and Mitchell successfully lifted Antares off the Moon to dock with the command module and, after a total of 34 lunar orbits, it was flown back to Earth where the three astronauts landed safely in the Pacific Ocean on February 9, 1971.
- Bring to life the rocket launch that took humans to the moon with the meter-high (approximately 1: 110 scale) model rocket of the NASA Apollo Saturn V. This space toy with astronaut figures lets you role play the many missions the Saturn V completed.
- The Saturn V rocket kit includes 3 removable rocket stages (first, s-ii second, and s-ivb third) below the launch escape system, command and service module. Plus, there are 2 minifigures to accompany the Lunar Lander and splashdown rocket toy.
- After building the Saturn V rocket, you can display the spacecraft horizontally with 3 stands. The Lunar Lander docks with the command and service modules while the Lunar Orbiter sends the rocket into space.
- Recreate space adventures with this NASA toy and action figures based off of the included booklet about the manned Apollo Moon missions and the fan designers of this build and play set
- This spaceship toy measures over 39-inches (100 centimeter) high and 6-inches (17 centimeter) in diameter. It includes 1,969 pieces and is ideal for boys and girls 14 years or older.
- Hardcover Book
- Heyne, Floris (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 320 Pages - 10/15/2018 (Publication Date) - teNeues Publishing Company (Publisher)