Photo credit: Francisco Sojuel
Photographer Francisco Sojuel just happened to be at the right place and time to capture a breathtaking photo of the moon. He was climbing volcano Acatenango in Guaemala back on December 24, 2019 when the Moon appeared to look just like Saturn due to a thin cloud passing in front of it just before sunrise. This was actually two days before a solar eclipse took place, and required a six-hour trip to get to the location. Read more for a video showing what would happen if other planets replaced the sun in our sky and additional information.
Guatemala’s Acatenango stratovolcano has two peaks, Pico Mayor and Yepocapa, which is also known as Tres Hermanas (Three Sisters). The only known historical eruptions of Acatenango volcano happened in the 20th century, between 1924 and 1927 from just north of the summit peak (Pico Mayor) and again in December 1972 from the saddle between Yepocapa and Pico Mayor.
- Superior optics: The Celestron 70mm Travel Scope features high-quality, fully-coated glass optics, a potent 70mm objective lens, a lightweight frame, and a custom backpack to carry it all. Its quality is unmatched in its class and against competitors.
- Powerful eyepieces for up-close viewing: Our telescope for astronomy beginners is equipped with two high-quality eyepieces (20mm and 10mm) that provide low- and high-power views of celestial objects at night and terrestrial objects during the day.
- Large 70mm objective lens: Our refractor telescope is equipped with a large 70mm aperture objective lens that provides enhanced, brighter views compared to the 50mm model while adding very little additional weight. Setting up and using the Travel Scope is quick and easy.
- Bonus bag, tripod, and software: This Celestron telescope and full-height tripod can be taken anywhere in the included travel backpack. Accessories also include a FREE download of one of the top consumer rated astronomy software programs.
- Unbeatable warranty and customer support: Buy with confidence from the telescope brand, based in California since 1960. You’ll also receive a 2-year warranty and unlimited access to technical support from our team of US-based experts.
From afar you may wonder, ‘Is that an asteroid ring around the moon?’. Well, the disguise of this waning moon is actually a thin cirrostratus cloud. The way the cloud interacts with the moon creates a unique display of beauty […] Below the moon? The dimly lit silhouette of volcano Pacaya and the Guatemalan highlands can be appreciated,” said Sojuel to PetaPixel.