NASA unveils the soccer ball-sized SPARROW (Steam Propelled Autonomous Retrieval Robot for Ocean Worlds) and it consists of a system of thrusters, avionics as well as instruments, all encased in a protective spherical cage. It runs on steam produced from melted ice to keep the environment pristine for research and travels through the air using short thrusts, or in other words, hopping. Read more for a video and additional information.
This robot depends on a lander serving as the home base, where it would then mine the ice and melt it down before loading the water for propulsion. SPARROW then heats the water inside its engines, producing bursts of steam to give a boost off the surface. When it’s low on steam, the robot would return to the lander for more, while also dropping off any scientific samples for analysis. Multiple robots could be sent together in a swarm to a specific location to maximize scientific investigation.
- Developed in cooperation with NASA to mark the 50th anniversary of man's historic walk on the moon, this highly detailed collectible LEGO replica of the iconic Apollo 11 Eagle Lunar Lander is a spectacular display model
- It's packed with amazing details, including detachable ascent and descent stages, a lunar surface display base and 2 astronaut minifigures with NASA-detailed spacesuits
- The LEGO Creator Expert Apollo 11 Lunar Lander makes an impressive display for home or office
- The advanced LEGO Creator Expert Apollo 11 Lunar Lander model is a challenging and rewarding LEGO building set that makes a great gift for space and NASA fans, and for kids ages 16+
- The LEGO Creator Expert NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander measures over 7” (20 cm) high, 8” (22cm) wide and 7” (20cm) deep
- DOES IT FIT? - COMPATIBILITY: This handmade, exclusive kit is used to light up the LEGO NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander set 10266 (LEGO set not included)
- PRODUCT FEATURES: Powered by USB, Brick Loot's Deluxe NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander (Set 10266) Lighting Kit features a simple plug and play design for amazing results.
- INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS: Step-by-step instructions can be found on the Brick Loot website! Click on "LED Light Kit Instructions"
- BEST FOR DIY PROJECTS: Should you decide to use them for some other purposes, these light up kits are compatible with LEGO, KRE-O, Mega Bloks and other major brands bricks and baseplates.
- OUR MISSION: At Brick Loot, we genuinely care about the quality of our products and the satisfaction of our customers. Buy with confidence.
The terrain on Europa is likely highly complex. It could be porous, it might be riddled with crevasses, there might be meters-high penitentes” – long blades of ice known to form at high latitudes on Earth – “that would stop most robots in their tracks. But SPARROW has total terrain agnosticism; it has complete freedom to travel across an otherwise inhospitable terrain,” said Gareth Meirion-Griffith, JPL roboticist and the lead researcher of the concept.