Rocket Lab has just revealed new details about its next generation Neutron launch vehicle, which builds upon the company’s Electron launch vehicle, the second most frequently launched US rocket annually since 2019. Neutron is claimed to be the world’s first carbon composite large launch vehicle, which means that its lightweight, strong and can withstand the immense forces of launch and re-entry. Read more for a video and additional information.
What really sets Neutron’s design apart from other launch vehicles is its unique ‘Hungry Hippo’ fairing design, which forms part of the first stage structure and remains fixed. That’s right, instead of separating from the stage and falling away to the ocean like traditional fairings, this one has jaws that open wide to release the second stage and payload. Next, it closes again on its journey back to Earth with the first stage, thus speeding up launch frequency and eliminating the high-cost of retrieving fairings at sea.
- Bring to life the rocket launch that took humans to the moon with the meter-high (approximately 1: 110 scale) model rocket of the NASA Apollo Saturn V
- The Saturn V rocket kit includes 3 removable rocket stages (first, s-ii second, and s-ivb third) below the launch escape system, command and service module; Plus, there are 2 minifigures to accompany the Lunar Lander and splashdown rocket toy
- After building the Saturn V rocket, you can display the spacecraft horizontally with 3 stands; The Lunar Lander docks with the command and service modules while the Lunar Orbiter sends the rocket into space
- Recreate space adventures with this NASA toy and action figures based off of the included booklet about the manned Apollo Moon missions and the fan designers of this build and play set
- This spaceship toy measures over 39-inches (100cm) high and 6-inches (17cm) in diameter; It includes 1,969 pieces and is ideal for boys and girls 14 years or older
Neutron is not a conventional rocket. It’s a new breed of launch vehicle with reliability, reusability and cost reduction is hard baked into the advanced design from day one. Neutron incorporates the best innovations of the past and marries them with cutting edge technology and materials to deliver a rocket for the future. More than 80% of the satellites to be launched in the next decade are expected to be constellations, which have unique deployment needs that Neutron is the first vehicle to address specifically,” said Peter Beck, Rocket Lab founder and CEO.