Photo credit: The Verge
Samsung Electronics has just unveiled its latest external storage device: the Portable Solid State Drive (SSD) T7 Touch. Unlike similar drives, this one combines a sleek design with the fastest transfer speeds currently available, based on the USB 3.2 Gen 2 standard, while elevating data protection to the next level with an additional hardware security measure in the form of a built-in fingerprint sensor. Read more for two videos and additional information.
Featuring a read speed of 1,050MB/s and a write speed of 1,000MB/s3, it’s around twice as fast as its predecessor, the T5, and up to 9.5 times faster than external HDDs. What really sets this drive apart is a built-in fingerprint scanner on top of password protection and AES 256-bit hardware encryption. A ‘Motion LED’ enables the user to determine the status of the device simply with a single glance. Available in a black or silver finish when released later this month, the T7 Touch is offered in 500GB ($129.99), 1TB ($229.99) and 2TB ($399.99) sizes. The drive comes with a USB Type-C-to-C cable and a USB Type-C-to-A cable, and is compatible with Windows, Mac as well as Android platforms.
Consumers who are constantly on the go between work, play and passion projects want to be able to securely carry their content with them. Now their data is secure thanks to the fingerprint recognition functionality incorporated into the product, which delivers industry-leading transfer speeds in a compact form factor,” said Dr. Mike Mang, vice president of Brand Product Biz Team, Memory Business at Samsung Electronics.
- SUPERFAST READ WRITE SPEEDS: SSD with V-NAND offers ultra-fast data transfer speeds of up to 540MB/s (up to 4.9x faster than external HDDs); Ideal for transferring large-sized data including 4K videos, high-resolution photos, games and more
- COMPACT AND PORTABLE DESIGN: Top to bottom shock resistant metal design fits in the palm of your hand and easily slides in your pocket or purse to take work and entertainment on the go
- SECURE ENCRYPTION: Optional password protection and AES 256-bit hardware encryption keeps your personal and private data more secure
- SEAMLESS CONNECTIVITY: Includes USB Type C to C and USB Type C to A cables to connect to PCs, Macs, smartphones and other devices
- WARRANTY AND COMPATIBILITY: 3-year limited warranty; Requires Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), Android 4.4 (KitKat), or higher; Older versions of the Windows, Mac and Android operating systems may not be supported
- High-speed transfers with up to 550MB/s read speeds let you move hi-res photos and videos fast (Based on internal testing; performance may be lower depending on drive capacity, host device, OS and application.)
- Ruggedized, water- and dust-resistant (IP55-rated) (IEC 60529 IP55: Tested to withstand water flow (30 kPa) at 3 min.; limited dust contact does not interfere with operation. Must be clean and dry before use.)
- Shock-resistant solid state core for greater durability (Shock-resistant (up to 1500G) and vibration-resistant (5g RMS, 10-2000 HZ), Non-Operating Temperature(from ‐20°C to 70°C), operating temperature (from 0°C to 45°C))
- Compact and pocket-sized
- For PC and Mac users