Photo credit: Joe Haupt
Long before the Apple Watch and other smartwatches, there was the Seiko Data-2000. This wristwatch computer was released in 1983 and came bundled with an external keyboard for data-entry. Unlike the devices of today, data had to be synced from the keyboard to the watch using electro-magnetic coupling, or in other words, a wireless dock. It was named Data-2000 for its ability to store 2000 characters, while its memory is a minuscule 112 digits. Read more for two videos and additional information.
How does the “electro-magnetic coupling” work>? Well, the watch and keyboard both have a small metal loop in which current flows, thus turning each into a magnet. Communication happens through a series of magnetic pulses from each side, with data being transferred at 2,048 bits/second. The Data-2000 is placed into the “Transmission Circuit” of the keyboard and the user presses the transmit button on the face of the watch. How much did one of these cost back in 1983? A cool $295, or $797 at 2021 prices.
- Smartwatches powered with Wear OS by Google work with iPhone and Android Phones. Case size: 44mm; Band size: 22mm; interchangeable with all Fossil 22mm bands
- Battery: 24 Hr plus multi day extended mode Varies based on usage and after updates install. USB cable with magnetic charger snaps to rings on watch caseback and spins 360 degrees for ease of use. Charge up to 80% in under an hour
- Health and fitness: Heart Rate & Activity Tracking using Google Fit; Built-in GPS for distance tracking; Swimproof design 3ATM; New wellness enhancements allow you to track sleep history, monitor your restfulness and set sleep goals
- Lifestyle: This smart watch has always on display with thousands of watch faces to personalize your look and always see the time. Hundreds of apps from assistant to fitness, payments, music, social, news, games, stop watches, and more. With a swimproof design and charging in less than an hour, it’s perfect for all your activities.
- Smart watch functions: Stay connected with notifications for calls, texts, apps and automatic time, time zone and calendar syncing. Never miss a call - answer and make calls directly on your watch when your phone is out of reach.