At $5,000 USD, the SONDORS Metacycle just might be the first affordable electric motorcycle that can hit 80mph, thanks in part to its ultra lightweight 200-pound aluminum frame. Its removable 4.0-kilowatt-hour battery pack, nestled at the bottom of the frame, is good for approximately 80 miles of cruising range on a full charge. You can either charge the batter with any 110-volt wall outlet in about 4 hours or using Level 2 (240-volt) public / residential charging stations. Read more for a video and additional information.
The Metacycle’s hub-mounted motor generates 8kWh of nominal power (80 lb-ft of torque) and 14.5 kWh of peak power (200 lb-ft of torque), enabling it to hit a top speed of 80 mph. Other features include a wireless charging compartment for your smartphone, hydraulic brakes by Brembo-subsidiary Bybre, and a digital tachometer. Deliveries are expected to begin in October.
- Compact electric motocross bike with powerful 650-watt electric motor
- Carries riders at speeds of up to 17 mph; authentic dirt bike frame geometry
- Dual suspension and riser handlebars deliver smooth, comfortable ride. Battery life Up to 40 mins
- Pneumatic knobby tires for maximum power transfer; quiet variable-speed, chain-driven motor and Wheels- 16 inches front and 14 inches rear tires
- Recommended for ages 16 and older (220-pound weight limit); 90-day warranty . Initial charge time: 12 hours.Failure to recharge the battery at least once a month may result in a battery that will no longer accept a charge.